[Access Lunch] Readings for This Week

Cynthia Bennett cbennet2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 5 09:19:53 EDT 2021

Hi Everyone,

We'll read 2 pieces this week on smart speakers. The first (attached) concerns how blind people and their families are incorporating them into their homes. The second concerns a feminist, class, and critical race view on the role of such smart speakers. I chose the readings to explore tensions among digitized assistance for people with disabilities and often separated forms of care attendant and domestic labor.

First reading (attached):
Kevin M. Storer, Tejinder K. Judge, and Stacy M. Branham. 2020. "All in the Same Boat": Tradeoffs of Voice Assistant Ownership for Mixed-Visual-Ability Families. In Proceedings of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '20). Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 1-14. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3313831.3376225

Second reading (linked HTML open access):
Thao Phan. "Amazon Echo and the aesthetics of whiteness." Catalyst: Feminism, Theory, Technoscience 5, no. 1 (2019): 1-38.
https://catalystjournal.org/index.php/catalyst/article/view/29586/24799

As always, join us at Accessibility Lunch on Thursday, April 8th at 1:30 PM EST here. To access the meeting, please use this Zoom conference link: https://cmu.zoom.us/j/95170225799?pwd=UkhZWmwwUkp6M3BMR1dsM0taNjNnZz09

Referring back to our discussion last week about the need to provide materials to onboard people to accessibility research, in lieu of a document not yet being ready, I highly recommend the Crip Camp: A Disability Revolution documentary for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Crip Camp with audio description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kffi5J61N0c

Crip Camp with no audio description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFS8SpwioZ4

Additionally, if anyone has ideas, I am also still looking for a reading that gets at the role education and insurance policy play in which technology people with disability get access to and how such policies also mediate their use, as discussed by Jillian Weiss and Laura Forlano in last week's readings.

Finally, please be in touch when you'd like to lead discussion and we will work together to choose a reading.

See you Thursday,

Cynthia L. Bennett<https://www.bennettc.com/>
Pronouns: she/her<https://www.mypronouns.org/she-her>

Twitter<https://twitter.com/clb5590?lang=en>