[Access Lunch] Readings for This Week

Sara Kingsley skingsle at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 5 09:41:45 EDT 2021

For type 1 diabetics, the biggest barrier to technology from insurance is
insulin. Attached is an article about that.

Here is a Twitter thread about the diabetes community's campaign for
elimination of monopoly pricing by insurance companies:
https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Insulin4all&src=typeahead_click

Here is an account to which mutual aid is provided:
https://twitter.com/MutualAidBetes

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 9:20 AM Cynthia Bennett <cbennet2 at andrew.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>

> We’ll read 2 pieces this week on smart speakers. The first (attached)
> concerns how blind people and their families are incorporating them into
> their homes. The second concerns a feminist, class, and critical race view
> on the role of such smart speakers. I chose the readings to explore
> tensions among digitized assistance for people with disabilities and often
> separated forms of care attendant and domestic labor.
>

> *First reading (attached):*
>
> *Kevin M. Storer, Tejinder K. Judge, and Stacy M. Branham. 2020. "All in
> the Same Boat": Tradeoffs of Voice Assistant Ownership for
> Mixed-Visual-Ability Families. In Proceedings of the 2020 CHI Conference on
> Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '20). Association for Computing
> Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 1–14.
> DOI:https://doi.org/10.1145/3313831.3376225
> <https://doi.org/10.1145/3313831.3376225>*
>

> *Second reading (linked HTML open access):*
>
> Thao Phan. "Amazon Echo and the aesthetics of whiteness." Catalyst:
> Feminism, Theory, Technoscience 5, no. 1 (2019): 1-38.
>
> https://catalystjournal.org/index.php/catalyst/article/view/29586/24799
>

> *As always, join us at Accessibility Lunch on Thursday, April 8th at 1:30
> PM EST here. **To access the meeting, please use this Zoom conference
> link: https://cmu.zoom.us/j/95170225799?pwd=UkhZWmwwUkp6M3BMR1dsM0taNjNnZz09
> <https://cmu.zoom.us/j/95170225799?pwd=UkhZWmwwUkp6M3BMR1dsM0taNjNnZz09>*
>

> Referring back to our discussion last week about the need to provide
> materials to onboard people to accessibility research, in lieu of a
> document not yet being ready, I highly recommend the Crip Camp: A
> Disability Revolution documentary for anyone who hasn’t seen it.
>

> Crip Camp with audio description.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kffi5J61N0c
>

> Crip Camp with no audio description.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFS8SpwioZ4
>

> Additionally, if anyone has ideas, I am also still looking for a reading
> that gets at the role education and insurance policy play in which
> technology people with disability get access to and how such policies also
> mediate their use, as discussed by Jillian Weiss and Laura Forlano in last
> week’s readings.
>

> Finally, please be in touch when you’d like to lead discussion and we will
> work together to choose a reading.
>

> See you Thursday,
>

> Cynthia L. Bennett <https://www.bennettc.com/>
>
> Pronouns: she/her <https://www.mypronouns.org/she-her>
>

> Twitter <https://twitter.com/clb5590?lang=en>
>

> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/clb5590/>
>

> Google Scholar
> <https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=4S6LJh8AAAAJ&hl=en>

*Sara Kingsley*
PhD student, Human-Computer Interaction Institute
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
website: www.sarakingsley.info
Pronouns: she/her

*want to chat about research, projects or coursework?*
please feel free to schedule time to meet with me at this link, thank you:
https://calendly.com/sarakingsley/sara-schedule
<https://calendly.com/sarakingsley/schedule>