[Access Lunch] Accessibility Lunch Reading for 5/28

Stephanie Valencia Valencia svalenci at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri May 22 09:27:33 EDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

We had a great kick off discussion this Thursday talking about Aimi
Hamraie’s <https://aimihamraie.wordpress.com/> book, Building Access. We
touched on many interesting points regarding the applicability of universal
design, the need for specific customization versus general design, and
raised some questions about why certain things are the way they are.

To complement this week's discussion, we will next take a look into Bess
Williamson's <https://besswilliamson.com/> book, Accessible America - A
History of Disability and Design. Williamson's book traces the history of
design as it responded to disability rights originating after world war II
to recent times. The book was published early 2019.

For next week's meeting we will be reading chapter 3, "Electric Moms and
Quad Drivers: Do- It- Yourself Access at Home in Postwar America". The
whole book is available online through the CMU library. Please find chapter
3 and the corresponding footnotes for our discussion attached.

We will meet next Thursday May 28th from 12 to 1 on Zoom:
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/94637562700

The purpose of our reading group is to discuss and learn together, so
please read the chapter and bring your notes and questions!

See you Thursday!

Stephanie

--
Stephanie Valencia