[Access Lunch] Accessibility reading group Thursday 12-1p

Amy Pavel apavel at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 2 16:46:58 EDT 2020

Hello everyone!

This week we'll be reading: Mankoff et al.'s "Disability Studies as a Source of Critical Inquiry for the Field of Assistive Technology". I've attached the PDF and here is download link as well: http://www.gillianhayes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/C19_Assets2010.pdf.

This ASSETS 2010 paper was brought to my attention by Cynthia and I picked it for this week because it gives an overview of intersections between disability studies and accessible technology development. I think this reading follows quite well with our discussion last week, I found it to be an great read suitable for the shorter (my apologies) time frame.

I find such papers that bridge related fields in new ways to be very informative, and you might also be interested in the excellent related recent CHI 2020 paper "Critical Race Theory for HCI" (link: https://www.alexandrato.com/papers/Critical_Race_Theory_for_HCI.pdf).

Here is the Zoom link for the meeting: https://cmu.zoom.us/j/94637562700

All the best,
Amy