[Access Lunch] Accessibility Lunch Reading for 5/21

Cynthia Bennett cbennet2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon May 18 09:48:01 EDT 2020

Hi Everyone,

We'll kick off summer Accessibility Lunch reading with a bit of history and introductions to disability studies and universal design concepts. As such, we'll read the introduction to critical STS scholar Aimi Hamraie's<https://aimihamraie.wordpress.com/> book, Building Access. The entire book is a wonderful history of universal design and accessibility of the built environment from the 1800's until recent. It is available and chapterized on Project Muse with your CMU log in but if you cannot get them, please let me know if you would like additional chapters and I will send them to you.

Attached is the introduction and the file with all of the footnotes.

We'll meet this Thursday, May 21 from 12 to 1 PM on Zoom at this link.
https://cmu.zoom.us/j/7584163031

Please come having read the chapter as the summarizing time will prioritizing answering clarification questions. As such, feel free to bring your notes and do not feel as if there is an expectation that you understand everything in the readings; that's why we have reading group to talk about the confusing and controversial points.

See you Thursday!

Cynthia