[SCA-Dance] Sca-dance Digest, Vol 113, Issue 1 - Down-up-l; at double?

Justin du coeur jducoeur at gmail.com
Fri May 1 21:20:41 EDT 2015

I'm away from home at the moment, so I don't have my sources to hand (and
this was 20 years ago), but IIRC it originally derived from a reference in
Domenico or Ebreo about the step starting up like a hawk stooping to
strike, or something like that.  We'd been raised on Ingrid's down-up-flat
steps; based on that passage, we decided that down-flat-up, with a steady
rise throughout, seemed a more likely reading.  So that's how we interpret
undaggiare.  (Sp?)

Mind, I teach the effect as fairly subtle - a slight bend on the first
step, up to balls on the feet on the last. I find that it suits the
repertoire well, and pairs well with a slight umbraggiare...