[SCA-Dance] Sca-dance Digest, Vol 113, Issue 1 - Down-up-l; at double?

Rachel/Judith judithsca at aol.com
Fri May 1 20:24:51 EDT 2015

 Salvete!
  Justin du Ceour wrote:

I find that teaching the steps
as written tends to constrain step size
somewhat.  We take piva to be exactly a
quick double step (which the
sources suggest), and we teach the down-flat-up
rising double step quite
early on.  That tends to become down-up-up at piva
tempo, so you're doing
most of the step on the balls of your feet, which in my
experience *tends*
to make my steps a bit smaller.  Not Caroso-level tiny, but
not great
gallumphs.

When you say down, do you mean bending your knees so that you actually dip down on the first step of the double? If so, I have seen this before and wonder whence this interpretation oriented. There is talk in the sources about rising through the double, comparisons to gentle waves, etc., but I cannot recall anything about stepping *down*. Do you have something specific for this?

Best,
Judith