[SCA-Dance] Pinagay bransle

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Sep 25 22:21:58 EDT 2013

To set the record straight(er), it's in the SCA that the mixed branles
are swept into a single suite. Arbeau only identifies Cassandre and
Pinagay as the first two of a suite, while the other mixed branles are
not in the suite.

I've just consulted the facsimile, and Arbeau has repeats at the end
(going back to a point other than the beginning) only for Cassandre
and Aridan, not for Pinagay, Charlotte, or War. All but Pinagay repeat
the first strain of the tune, and Pinagay and Aridan have "don't
repeat" signs to point out where it might seem like the music begins a
new strain at a place where there isn't any repeat either forward or
back. In the case of Aridan, the "don't repeat" means that it is only
divided into two for repeats, and not into three.

So to sum up how the tunes are divided by repeat signs, and what to
repeat before starting over at the beginning:
Cassandre: Divided in two, repeat both.
Pinagay: Undivided, no repeats.
Charlotte: Divided in two, repeat the first.
War: Divided in two, repeat the first.
Aridan: Divided in two, repeat both.

--
Henry/Alex