[SCA-Dance] Pinagay bransle

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 08:22:11 EDT 2013

I personally don't tend to repeat the last set of doubles, unless the music
/ musician tells me to.  :)

I'm not certain if it is now the fashion, or just happens to be spreading
in certain areas perhaps?  Cassandra, Charlotte, and Aridan all often have
the B section of the music / dance repeated, and since these are all part
of the same suite, this could be one origin for the trend.

Although I must say that repeating the latter half of War bransle is just
cruel.  :P

Mostly in our area(s)  (Ealdormere, and Cynnabar / Midrealm I think), we've
had fun with the bransles by making them a bit of a game.  Our skilled
musicians will play them in order, and then will mix up the order, so we
have those first 4 beats of each one (the Double to the Left) to figure out
which one we are dancing by the tune being played.  It is a neat challenge.
 We started with this particular bransle suite, as it made the most sense I
think, but we've branched into throwing in nearly any bransle out there,
sometimes at least, which can be quite the challenge to remember all the
tunes.  (most of them are fairly clear once you've heard them, or you can
follow along with other people.  But there are a few bransles that have the
same general structure, such that you could actually do one bransle to the
tune of another, without having it feel particularly off / without being
out of sync with the music.  I'm trying to remember which ones, I think
Hermit's, Clog, and Pease might have been one of the few examples, though
the music certainly does sound different.)

Darius