[SCA-Dance] Fwd: pennsicdance: The Future of KWDS, part 2

David Learmonth david.a.learmonth at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 01:23:10 EDT 2011

Hmm, I remember speaking with the heralds back before we ran our KWDS in
Toronto a few years back, and I remember there being about 3 key differences
between the two events, that would have some impact.  (correct me if I am
mistaken)

1.  KWHS was a day or so shorter than KWDS.

2.  The facilities required for a successful KWHS didn't sound quite as
extensive as for KWDS  (many dance / music spaces, plus a grand ball, which
can put more burden on trying to coordinate the event.  tough since we often
compete for spaces with weddings and the like).

3.  Most importantly, as I understand it, SCA Kingdoms will actually Sponsor
their heralds to attend?  Dancers are typically all paying for all their own
travel / lodging / food / site fee expenses.  (often even those of us who
are running the event, and typically no teacher discounts either, since
we're all teachers).

Oh, and separately, yes, I agree too that we sort of want to keep this event
as a level above other dance events, as we don't want it to be competing
directly with Terp and such.  (as per Dafydd's comment regarding other
academies being promoted).

And, just to note, that Pennsic itself has tons of dancing, for those who
are looking to dance all day/night.  So it isn't like there aren't other
options on the off years.  (I personally find that I do tend to travel to
more of the regular dance events, like Crystal Ball and such, on the off
years.  There is just only so much time / money to do all of these).

Hmm, yeah, though I guess it may be correct that for newer dancers, a more
frequent event might still be basically just as special.  But quite a bit, I
think that KWDS is good for targeting the more advanced dancers, because by
bringing us together, we can do more / crazier things, and have much more
advanced classes (non-standard classes), than many other events can
accommodate.  (while still being inspiring, fun, and educational for
beginners).

Thanks everyone for the comments / feedback!  It is really good to explore
the issue.  :)
Darius