[SCA-Dance] Fwd: pennsicdance: The Future of KWDS, part 2

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Jul 24 02:30:00 EDT 2011

I should clarify that Known World Herald and Scribes Symposium is more
socializing *for me*, because I've been a senior herald for a while.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011, David Learmonth <david.a.learmonth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, I remember speaking with the heralds back before we ran our
> KWDS in Toronto a few years back, and I remember there being about 3
> key differences between the two events, that would have some impact.
> (correct me if I am mistaken)
>
> 1.  KWHS was a day or so shorter than KWDS.

Yes, but would you expand on the effect?

> 2.  The facilities required for a successful KWHS didn't sound quite
> as extensive as for KWDS (many dance / music spaces, plus a grand
> ball, which can put more burden on trying to coordinate the event.

I'm afraid I don't see why.  Finding a site happens at the start of
planning, and the constraint I see there is finding a site that fits
KWDMS's special needs (several large rooms with suitable floors?), but
I don't see why there's anything special about dealing with the site
after that.

> 3.  Most importantly, as I understand it, SCA Kingdoms will actually
> Sponsor their heralds to attend?

I have not asked, but I have the impression that only a few make any
contribution at all, considering kingdom budgets and the specialized
purpose.

> Dancers are typically all paying for all their own travel / lodging
> / food / site fee expenses.  (often even those of us who are running
> the event, and typically no teacher discounts either, since we're
> all teachers).

I've not heard of teacher discounts in the SCA.  (And I'm not a
teacher, BTW.)

There's another difference, but I don't think it makes much difference
per se: I am told that suitable KWDMS sites are rare and expensive.
But KWHSS's site fee is down in the $10 range, so a large chunk of the
attendees (maybe half?) are local or from the host kingdom, so there's
a track or two of beginner and intermediate classes.  But there are a
good number of advanced and specialized classes too.

> And, just to note, that Pennsic itself has tons of dancing, for
> those who are looking to dance all day/night.  So it isn't like
> there aren't other options on the off years.

Wars are for those who can take a substantial chunk of time, who can
carry/get equipment to camp or can find a hotel room (usually way off
site), and (last time I was at Pennsic) are willing to pay a larger
site fee than this last KWDMS.

Danielis Lindicolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com