[SCA-Dance] Music for Glory of the West?

White, John white at drexel.edu
Mon Aug 23 10:23:06 EDT 2010

> From: Tim McDaniel
>
> After being in a class with "Glory of the West" and seeing Playford's
> instructions <http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/101small.html>
> and Dafydd Cyhoeddwr's reconstruction
> <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~white/ECD/GloryWest.htm>, I'm pretty
> sure that the music I have, with the pattern ABBABBABB, and the
> Terpsichore booklet don't fit the dance in Playford and my own
> notions.  Dafydd appears to agree:
>
>      Glory of the West
>          for two couples facing (square).
>          Reconstructed by Dafydd Cyhoeddwr, music fix suggested by Lady
>              Grainne.
>      Music:
>          Aleyn, by June Tabor (structure is wrong, but I love the
>              cellos),
>          Popular Tunes in 17th Century England, by Jeremy Barlow
>              (structure still wrong, tempo great)
>          Country Capers, by the New York Renaissance Band (structure
>              wrong again, tempo rather fast)
>
> I think what I want is music with AABBAABBAABB (and maybe that's the
> fix mentioned but not described).  Anyone have a source, by chance?

My take is that the verse music (the A part) is played twice, assuming that
the A part is really 16 beats, and that the chorus music (the B part, being
10 measures, or 40 beats) is played once.  Now, as my reconstruction notes,
this still isn't totally correct - you have to stretch something in the chorus,
because there's really only 9 measures of instruction ....

> Danielis de Lincolnia
> --
> Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com

More elsewhere,