[SCA-Dance] Music for Glory of the West?

Charlene Charette charlene281 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:38:27 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> After being in a class with "Glory of the West" and seeing Playford's
> instructions <http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/101small.html>
> and Dafydd Cyhoeddwr's reconstruction
> <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~white/ECD/GloryWest.htm>, I'm pretty
> sure that the music I have, with the pattern ABBABBABB, and the
> Terpsichore booklet don't fit the dance in Playford and my own
> notions.  Dafydd appears to agree:
>
>     Glory of the West
>         for two couples facing (square).
>         Reconstructed by Dafydd Cyhoeddwr, music fix suggested by Lady
>             Grainne.
>     Music:
>         Aleyn, by June Tabor (structure is wrong, but I love the
>             cellos),
>         Popular Tunes in 17th Century England, by Jeremy Barlow
>             (structure still wrong, tempo great)
>         Country Capers, by the New York Renaissance Band (structure
>             wrong again, tempo rather fast)
>
> I think what I want is music with AABBAABBAABB (and maybe that's the
> fix mentioned but not described).  Anyone have a source, by chance?
>
> Danielis de Lincolnia
> --
> Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com

Jeremy Barlow and New York Renaissance Band both seem to be:

AABB x 3 where A=8 beats and B=20 beats

(I did a quick listen so it's possible I mis-counted).

I'm unfamiliar with the June Tabor version.

I like many of the pieces on this LP:
http://time-has-told-me.blogspot.com/2009/12/va-john-playford.html .
Their Grimstock is a big strange.

--Perronnelle

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realize you're wrong.  -- Aaron Karo's Ruminations.com