[SCA-Dance] etiquette while lifting a lady (was The Creepy, the rude, and the weird)

Iohann se pipere scalutenist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 12:08:58 EDT 2009

When I was new to the Society, I heard the Official Bransle called
"Toss the Duchess" (its nickname in my kingdom) so often during my
first events that I thought the lord was supposed to help the lady
reach the greatest height possible.  Eventually, I learned that this
causes problems for women.  I still enjoy seeing how high I can l help
her jump (notice the word "help") but now judge her size so that I can
help her gently return to the ground.

And on this note, my favorite partners are those who have training in
ballet, as these women jump high during this and other dances.

Iohann se pipere
Sable, a gyron argent
Ars Longa Vita Brevis (art endures, life ends)