[SCA-Dance] KWDS report (What I Did on my Summer Vacation...)

Monique Rio nique.rio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 09:56:32 EDT 2009

A few thoughts:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Nadine <ianthe at gmail.com> wrote:
> When the momentum for dancing
> is high, just ride it, don't repress it.

I agree with this. We have people wanting to host. Taking advantage of
this is good.

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:32 AM, David Learmonth <david.a.learmonth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, but just to state, based on our experiences, it may be pushing it to do
> a bid for 2010 at this point, unless you've already got the site lined up.
> It is possible, but otherwise perhaps we're seeing 2011, 2012, 2013, or
> something like that.

I also agree with this. Next year would be too soon. Such things take
time to plan.

Another complaint is that only having one year of lead time isn't
enough time to plan an event of this scale. This is a bit misleading.
Why do we need to only have a year of lead-time? We could still know
at least two (or more) years ahead of time where the next two KWDSs
will be. It seems people liked knowing several years in advance about
Australia. Why don't we just do this regularly? Also, this has another
advantage. In 2011, the organizers of the 2012 site can be a part of
the 2011 organizing committee (or at least on the mailing list). That
way the 2012 people have an inside view of what they're likely to
experience next year.

With KWDSs spaced 2 years apart, this kind of involvement with
successive hosters is not really possible. We don't even know where
the next one will be at the current KWDS.

-Jadzia
Cynnabar Musician, Singer, and Dancer