[SCA-Dance] KWDS report (What I Did on my Summer Vacation...)

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 20 13:28:59 EDT 2009

By car, Bloomington is five hours or less from Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis, and Chicago.  Columbus would be several hours closer for folks from the East coast, making it possible for some people who would have had to fly to Indiana to drive instead.  Conversely, it would be significantly harder for anyone from Texas.  (I know Texas is also far from Indiana, but we did get a carload from Texas at a Mynydd Seren dance event and when we hosted the Known World Costume Symposium.)

I don't see any point in getting Kingdom bureaucracy involved at this stage. They are far less likely than we are to know or care about the pros and cons of various locations.  However, WE should be considering geography in picking bids.  For instance, I don't see both Bloomington and Columbus being in the queue.  If Columbus were picked, Mynydd Seren would withdraw our bid, rather than try for the next time.  I think the event *should* move from kingdom to kingdom, with a bias toward kingdoms east of the Mississippi, because that's where most of our dancers are.  I don't think KWDS should be outside the US twice in a row, but I think that a European bid could be viable otherwise (gotta be cheaper than Australia...)

--Urraca