[SCA-Dance] KWDS report (What I Did on my Summer Vacation...)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jul 20 12:46:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, C. Timar <cctimar at member.ams.org> wrote:
> Columbus, in particular, is quite close to Hamilton,

For reference, driving distances are on the order of 650 km / 400
miles; flying is roughly 475 km / 300 miles.

> so those who couldn't come to Hamilton may also have trouble going
> to Columbus

if the trouble was distance rather than going into Canada versus the
US.

> That being said, New York and Indiana are also in the same general
> area, as viewed from the distance of Seattle or New Orleans.

Um ... I wouldn't word it that way.  (My first reaction was "Are you
nuts?!  They're nowhere near each other!").  I would say: from much of
the US, you won't drive to KWHS in either Indianapolis or New York,
but instead would take a flight, which is likely to be in the
US $250-$300 range if you get the tickets in advance.  So, from the
point of view of travel, it doesn't matter that much for many people
where in the US it is.

I don't know how many people consider themselves to be in "driving
range" of New York versus Indianapolis.

Daniel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com