[SCA-Dance] KWDS report (What I Did on my Summer Vacation...)

Beth Gurzler bgdeonna at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 6 12:58:25 EDT 2009

Hi all,

Had a great time dancing, playing, learning with you-all.

> I did announce that Mynydd Seren would like to host the next KWDS in 2011.  Since I had no specifics, I didn't give any. I said we'd been looking at site possibilities, including a convention hotel. (One thing that I did get out of conversations is that people would much rather have the event on a campus with wooden-floored rooms, than in carpet-over-concrete hotel ballrooms.)  I did emphasize that we have experience here running a Known World event, as well as running a large kingdom event.  I forgot to mention that I've also been on the concom for SF conventions, which is a lot more like what KWDS is like, especially if it ends up in a convention hotel, as we had discussed earlier.)  The concensus seemed to be that it would be better to wait until Pennsic to talk to Queen Judith about whether Drachenwald is still planning a bid for KWDS.  (Apparently she couldn't come to both KWDS and Pennsic, and she obviously couldn't skip Pennsic this year.)  So I
>  think that Mynydd Seren may need to find an envoy (Alan? Corwyn?) to make our case at Pennsic, since neither Sionnain nor I go there.

Where is Mynydd Seren?  I'd very much like to set up a time at Pennsic where all those looking to host such an event for 2011 can get together and chat.  I heard plenty of rumor and even a bit of gentle persuasion but nothing firm.  I also have been toying with the idea of hosting a KWDS.  I am not a dance laurel and probably could not "win" the joy of hosting KWDS were there to be a dance off.  We could even perhaps have the next three penciled in to give time to the planners and share ideas from previous autocrats about potential sites. The atmosphere of that dance hall in Toronto beats the cold atmosphere of a modern convention center or hotel hands down.  I WANT the medieval moment.  Not only that but I for one, need to have a floor more friendly to old knees, so no, we are not the same as a SF convention.

 As far as expense and travel, I'd be willing to start saving, scaling down the next two Pennsics, eat out less often and putting off next year's expected big trip if it meant celebrating my 31st wedding anniversary in Drachenwald in two years.

Just my 2 cents
Deonna