[SCA-Dance] KWDS report (What I Did on my Summer Vacation...)

Mary Railing mrailing2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 23:33:32 EDT 2009

Mynydd Seren is Bloomington, Indiana, home of Indiana University.  It is an hour south of Indianapolis, which is a major transportation hub for both highways and airlines.  (There is an airport shuttle from Indy to campus that costs $25.)  By car, it is five hours or less from Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, St. Louis, and Chicago.  Where are you, Deonna? Personally, I think it would be good, purely in terms of demographics, to have a KWDS in someplace east of the Mississippi, since that's where most of the dance-oriented Scadians are.

Sionnain has been looking at a hotel that she thinks would make a good site.  However, it has become clear that the dance community is not very enthusiastic about a hotel as a site. I would be looking at using facilities at Indiana University or perhaps Butler University in Indianapolis.

Having worked on both SCA events and SF cons, I still maintain that organizing a Known World event, with its emphasis on multiple tracks of classes is much more like an SF con than like a typical tourney-based SCA event.

A key factor for anyone bidding on hosting KWDS is projected attendance. would it be possible for previous autocrats to post total attendance and total number staying in dorms for the last two or three KWDS?

-Urraca