[SCA-Dance] Sca-dance Digest, Vol 28, Issue 17

John-Michael Robinson johnmichael02 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 02:57:28 EST 2008

I don't understand what you mean.
* Do you mean to imply that you know exactly who introduced sideward
singles into some historical versions of the English Quadran Pavan, and if
so what is your source for this?
* Where does your conclusion about the pavane "moving forward" come from,
and do you mean moving forward throughout, or net forward movement?
* What do you mean about "90' turn" (and was that supposed to be "90 degree
turn"?) and "back with one foot"? If that is supposed to refer to a
/conversion/, it is not a clear or accurate description.
* Finally, what do you mean about "all the other 'Pavans'"? Did you mean to
refer specifically to modern choreographies like Dolmetsch's pavan done to
the Earl of Salisbury tune, or do you mean all pavanes that differ from the
criteria that you had mentioned above?

Years ago I knew someone who knew which barony started doing the sideways
steps because of a short dance hall.  I have forgotten over time.
Apparently the pavan step has changed again.  When I learned it over a
decade ago, all the movement was forward, unless doind a full pavan set
backwards which is another modern variation.
Explaining the 90' turn; if as his partner takes a step forward, the guy
takes one step back, then they both continue forward, this creates a turn to
the left. (Also line of dance goes counterclockwise.)
I have yet to come across a pavan other than Quadran Pavan that was not an
SCA creation.