[SCA-Dance] Quadran Pavan

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Mon Feb 11 22:56:47 EST 2008

Mary Railing wrote:
> The fact of the matter is that the Old Measures were a set of dances, fixed
> by tradition, and perpetuated in their traditional form by the Inns of
> Court long after such dances were out of fashion elsewhere.  It goes
> against the spirit of such a dance to fancy it up.

Yaas. The thing that's remarkable about the Old Measures is how *little*
they changed. For something like 75 years, they did more or less the
same dances, with (as far as we can tell) fairly little variation.
That's extraordinarily unusual, and is closely related to the particular
culture they were embedded in.

Also remember, they weren't meant to be danced on their own. First you
do the Old Measures -- *then* you do the au courant stuff. That makes
for an interesting and unusual Ball. (I did one of these about ten years
ago; it was a fun and broadly successful experiment.)

				-- Justin