[SCA-Dance] Grimstock Hay

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Sun Sep 9 22:20:35 EDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 08:53:15PM -0500, tmcd at panix.com wrote:

> (One time we tried it as a crossover as in
> Female Sailor or during the mushrooming in Whirlygig: W1 walks between
> M2 and M3, and M1 walks between W2 and W3.  It works and saves a few
> beats, but I wouldn't call it a hay.)

Well, that's the usual way it's done in the SCA & the modern ECD
community. You'd be hard pressed to get any certainty by reading
Playford, that's for sure.

> The other four people walk the hay, not stand as posts, right?
> (Someone had a vague memory of a "sheepskin hay" involving posts, but
> others said that everyone does move in Grimstock.)

The sheepskin hey appears in Picking of Sticks, although Playford
doesn't call it that.

Check out:

Transcription: http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~flip/contrib/dance/playford.html
Facsimile: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/playford_1651/