[SCA-Dance] Grimstock Hay

Jane & Mark Waks waks at comcast.net
Sun Sep 9 22:28:52 EDT 2007

tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> Which shoulders do M1 and W1 pass when crossing over at the top?
> At the bottom?  -- I suspect that it doesn't matter, that the
> crossovers don't count as part of the hay.

Playford gives no hard-and-fast answers. Personally, I teach the
crossover at the top by the left shoulders, specifically because we
conventionally start hays by passing right shoulders.

The way I teach the whole thing is essentially as two hays, interlaced.
M1 and W1 are doing a pure circular hay, starting with left shoulders --
they simply walk all the way around the circle, alternating shoulders.
The other four do a completely conventional hay, starting with right
shoulders, going up and down their own lines. If everyone gets the
timing right, this works together well enough that I *suspect* it was
Playford's intent...

				-- Justin