[SCA-BMDL] Fwd: [SCA-AE] From the Pennsic Mayor

Krista Cogan krista.cogan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:48:13 EDT 2020

FYI on Pennsic

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Monica Gaudio <rani23 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 13, 2020, 9:55 AM
Subject: [SCA-AE] From the Pennsic Mayor
To: <discussion at aethelmearc.org>

G’Day Everyone,

The past month has seen significant change in the COVID-19 threat and
risk overlay for Pennsic 49. The cancellation of major events
throughout the modern world such as, The Olympic Games (July 2020) in
Japan, The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo (July/Aug 2020) in Scotland
and Major Events Across the USA, plus the restriction of travel both
Nationally and Internationally, have indicated to me that this world
wide pandemic is having an ongoing longer effect on the planning and
running of Pennsic 49 in July/August 2020 than could have been
foreseen. In addition, last week has seen the cancellation of May War
Practice and the closure of all schools in PA for the rest of the
school year.

Cognisant of these changes I have asked Viscount Edward to liaise with
the Coopers Lake Management and identify a final notification date for
the continuance of Pennsic 49 in 2020.

This is not to be viewed as a postponement of the event; it simply
allows me to have a “timeline” for decision making and allows me to
further consider the impact of events on my recommendations to the
Pennsic Seneschals Group (PSG).

It is therefore incumbent upon me to plan for as many possible
outcomes as I can foresee. To that end I have requested that the PSG
have a Virtual meeting, on a mutually suitable date between 20-25
April 2020. At that meeting discussions will be held regarding several
impacting factors for Pennsic 49 in 2020.

My primary concern will be to ensure the safety of the Pennsic War
Attendee’s, the Coopers Lake Community and Staff as well as the impact
on businesses in and around Coopers Lake Campground area.

We need to also consider the recovery period for businesses in the
local area that would normally supply Pennsic with part of our
infrastructure for the event to run safely and effectively. This
includes but is not limited to everything from the contracted EMS
Service to Tents and Golf carts.

I have been in discussions with James Brezel from the Coopers Lake
Management Group over the past weeks to ascertain their position as no
matter which way we go, it will have a great financial impact on their
business.  I cannot comment on things that Coopers Lake Campground
supplies from Porta-John’s to Coopers Casual Staff and the Pennsic
Store, I will leave that to James and the Coopers Lake Management to
evaluate as they know that side well and what effects COVID-19 has had
on the supply chain to them.

All the above needs to be considered and discussed before any final
decision/s are made. That decision does not include the overarching
authority by Local, County, State or Federal agencies that would
override any decision made by either ourselves or Coopers Lake
Management and which is beyond our control.

I am looking at allot and taking into account all options and
considerations not only for the people who attend Pennsic every year,
but also for the Coopers Management and Staff. In addition, we need to
consider the impact and opinions of the local people and businesses,
in and around Pennsic. I especially need to look at if the local
businesses can still supply or are in a position to supply the
attendees to Pennsic 49.

On top of this we need to consider the impact on the local community
of 8-10,000 turning up from all over the USA and internationally and
what the health effect that may have both physically and reputation
wise to the SCA, Pennsic and the Coopers Lake Camp Ground.

Add to that the constant changing figures in the USA, shutdown of
state boarders, local, county, state and federal changes in the
movement of people and last but not least the projected recovery time,
even if this bottoms out by the end of June. This is a juggling game
where we cannot afford to drop a ball. So, I am being measured,
careful, factual and logical in our approach.

Be assured, we are all working towards the best possible solution. It
is my desire to have a final decision advertised no later than 15 May
2020. This will allow people to change plans if necessary and/or
prepare for a Pennsic that might be very different to that we have
attended before.

As you are all no doubt aware by now… I like to Plan for the Known and
Prepare for the Unknown. I have a fantastic staff and great support
from the PSG and Coopers Lake Management.

I will keep you all advised on the outcome of our discussions and planning.

In Service to you all

Gregory

Mayor

Pennsic 49
When replying to posts, you should remove excess quotage.