[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Youth Fighter Practice this Sunday with FREEZER POPS

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 21:30:52 EDT 2012

To all BMDL youth fighters and their parents, greetings!

Thanks to Lady Caniodricca for running practice last weekend in my absence, and to THLady Zoe for running it the previous weekend.

We have just three more practices between now and Pennsic! This weekend is also the bi-monthly Barony meeting, which will feature a garb swap aimed at newcomers attending Pennsic, and a camp meeting for those camping with the Barony at Pennsic. I'm bringing not only some garb to give away, but also a bunch of extra tools - screwdrivers, hammers, saws, wrenches, etc. - so those of you who need to make or repair armor can pick up some free tools with which to accomplish that.

And in honor of the predicted ongoing heat wave, I will have FREEZER POPS!

ALSO, if you are going to Pennsic, I suggest you review the information on Youth Combat Activities on the Pennsic website: http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn41/DEPTS/MARTIAL/youthcombat.html Pay particular attention to the armor and weapons standards as they differ slightly from AEthelmearc rules! For instance:

- D1 fighters may NOT use rattan weapons for Pennsic, only golf tubes or short PVC handles inside pool noodles. I have golf tubes if anyone needs to make more D1 weapons.
- D1s will not fight from their knees or with the off hand.
- For D2s, all thrusts are touch only, not just face thrusts. Any unimpeded thrusting blow must be accepted.

Make sure all weapons have a "window" in their tape so inspecting marshalls can tell if they are made of PVC, rattan, etc.

Some other items to note:

- BRING YOUR AUTHORIZATION CARD TO PENNSIC! Without it, you cannot fight unless you re-authorize!
- PENNSIC DOES NOT PROVIDE LOANER GEAR. If you need armor for Pennsic, let me know ASAP so I can arrange for you to have some of the baronial loaner gear. Better yet, you should try to complete your own kit before Pennsic.
- PVC weapons will still be legal through the END of Pennsic, but NOT afterward. If you need youth rattan, you can buy it from me at $11 per 9 ft. stave, or you can buy it at Pennsic from merchants like Munitions Grade Arms.
- Youth combat is held on the main battlefield twice daily from Friday, August 3 through Friday, August 10. Sessions are scheduled from 8 – 10:30 am and 3 – 5 pm daily. Some sessions will include tourneys or melees sponsored by various Kingdoms.
- AEthelmearc's Tag Team Youth/Adult Tourney is being held again this year from 11-3 on Wednesday, August 8 in the red list on the main battlefield. NOW is the time to line up your adult partner for this tourney!
- There will be a Youth Castle Battle. The date and time have not been posted yet, so check the battlefield schedule. Traditionally it's been on Friday of War week.

- Youth combatants are expected to provide service at Pennsic. At a minimum, this will take the form of field sweeps for trash and water bottles in our own lists as well as the surrounding area.
- I will have more of the experimental javelins for Pennsic, possibly sooner.

The BMDL Youth Combat practice schedule for the next month is as follows:

July 8 - Practice in the park at Washington Blvd.

July 15 - Practice in the park at Washington Blvd.

July 22 - LAST PRACTICE BEFORE PENNSIC! at Washington Blvd.
July 28, August 5, and August 12 -  Pennsic, NO practices!
August 19 - the first practice after Pennsic at Washington Blvd.
August 26 - Practice in the park at Washington Blvd.

See you on Sunday!

Arianna