[SCA-BMDL] Seeking rattan for youth fighters

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 10:48:05 EST 2012

Greetings!

Do you have a spare piece of rattan that you always meant to turn into a sword but never got around to doing anything with?

Are you a former fighter with a weapon in good condition that you no longer need?

If so, please consider making it available to our Youth fighters!

Recently the Society Earl Marshall changed the requirements for youth weapons so that the core of the weapon now must be rattan instead of PVC. We knew this was coming but were under the impression it wouldn't be happening until late spring at the earliest. Now we find that we must acquire rattan and build all new weapons ASAP, as PVC is no longer legal in SCA tournaments (though fortunately we have permission to use them at practices until March).

I am willing to pay reasonable prices for rattan, and of course would happily accept donations as well. All rattan donated or purchased would be used for the BMDL Youth Combat program participants. The Barony-Marche has by far the largest concentration of youth fighters in the Kingdom - please help us keep them on the field!

Please email me OFF LIST to let me know if you have rattan you can spare. I can pick it up at Baronial 12th Night this weekend, or at any BMDL Sunday fighter practice, or at your home within a reasonable distance.

Thanks.

Arianna

P.S., yes, I am exploring other avenues to buy rattan, but shipping costs are high and sources are limited until we have an event where vendors are selling it, like War Practice or Pennsic. We'd really like to be able to supply the kids with legal weapons as soon as possible at the lowest possible cost. Thanks for reading this far.