[SCA-BMDL] rapier practice report and upcoming schedule of practices

Wendy Colbert rapierlady at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 27 09:14:00 EDT 2012

Sorry I am a bit late getting out the practice report this week. It has been a busy week.

We had 7 individuals participating in practice on Sunday.

Don Christian de Launey ran the lesson from our developing curriculum and I ran a lesson for our newest participant. I taught intro to footwork and point control.
Don Christian taught:
Brief review of Parries 1 and 2 with movement.

Introduction to Parry 3 - Middle outside line. (Hand position seconda)
Introduction to Parry 4 - Middle inside line. (Hand position quarta)
Parry 3 on advance, lunge seconda.
Parry 4 on advance, lunge quarta.
Discussions on angulation, intent and targeting.

Partner drill
Both fighters same hand, presented.
Agent: Lunge seconda to hollow under partner's arm.
Patient Agent: Advance lead foot 45 degrees inside while binding in parry 3 and thrusting in opposition to hollow under Agent's arm. Off hand fills over or under sword arm depending on height.

We ran out of time before doing any partner work on Parry 4.

We then had the authorized fencer take some passes while the others critiqued what they saw. This encourages seeing the action of the fencing and highlights points taught in the lessons.

There were a few free play passes at the end of practice.

There will be practice at 11 am this Sunday.
Next week will be the Baronial Meeting and we will have a pairs tourney. The pairs are one fencer and one armored fighter to make a team. Next to the armored field there will be a combat archery bow and arrow. Next to the fencing field there will be a RBG. The winner of the field that finishes first can help their team mate. But they only have 1 shot and beware of shooting your teammate.

I will be out of town on the 13th of May, so, unless I get a volunteer marshal to run practice that day, there will be No fencing practice. There will be no practice the weekend of War Practice.

Irene von Schmetterling
Rapier Marshal, BMDL

Come visit my esty shop StringsNstrands  StringsNstrands.etsy.com
for fiber goodies and handcrafted Montessori materials