[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Youth Fighter Practice this Sunday and RATTAN weapon update

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 13:43:27 EDT 2011

Greetings to all Youth Fighters and their parents!

BMDL youth fighting practice will be held this Sunday from 2-5pm at the Washington Blvd. site. The weather forecast is for a gorgeous sunny day with pleasant temperatures in the upper 60s!

Practices will continue every Sunday from 2-5 pm unless otherwise announced until we move indoors for the winter in November.

REMINDER: the AEthelmearc Kingdom Youth Combat Champion's Tourney will be held at Agincourt on October 22nd. Those who attend the most practices between now and then will have a competitive edge!

RATTAN WEAPONS UPDATE: At Summer's End in the the Canton of Beau Fleuve (Niagara Falls) last weekend, my sons and I had a chance to test and evaluate the new shaved rattan weapons. They are actually lighter than PVC and, according to the Count Edward the Red, Earl Marshall of Ealdormere, whose son has fought youth boffer with them for several years, more durable. They do not require strapping tape or end caps, just the same close-cell foam padding as PVC weapons, so they are simpler to make. I have two staves of shaved rattan that I will bring to practice this Sunday, and I'll be happy to discuss these weapons with any parents who are interested.

For now, these weapons are going to be an option along side PVC for D2 and D3 fighters in AEthelmearc. Future plans are still uncertain as the office of Society Youth Marshall is changing hands this fall. Mistress Jenna MacPherson, AE Kingdom Youth Marshall, told me she is planning to wait for the incoming Society Youth Marshall to make a determination on weapons standards before she decides how and when to transition to these weapons. Supply is likely to be the biggest issue for us; however, Ealdormere orders them online in large batches (and graciously passed along a number of staves to us at cost last weekend) so AEthelmearc may join them on future orders. FYI, a 9-foot stave costs $15, and will make three regular-sized swords.

Since this announcement goes to the AEthelmearc Youth Fighter list in addition to the Debatable Lands and Steltonwald lists, I hope Mistress Jenna will correct me if I have misunderstood any of the issues or policies around rattan youth weapons.

I hope to see you all on Sunday!

Arianna