[SCA-BMDL] Twelfth Night Thank You's

Elss_of_Augsburg elss_of_augsburg at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 1 22:32:18 EST 2010

Unto all Good and Generous Gentles of the Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands does Lady Elss of Augsburg send fond Greetings.

Fortunate indeed is our Barony to have so many creative and enthusiastic individuals who are willing to lend their time and talents to making the Barony Twelfth Night Celebration a tremendous success. Without the work of these people, Twelfth Night simply would not have happened.To these, the autocrat sends Heartfelt Thanks:

Without a doubt, the person who had the most complicated responsibilities was the Royal Liaison, Her Grace, the incredibly capable Duchess Morgan of Rye. She kept her head (and calm) amid the ever-changing plans for providing comfort and care for the Royals who graced our event with Their Presence. Your efforts were much appreciated, and I am most grateful.

To Lady Aibell ingen Chernachain, Barony Youth Minister, who occupied and entertained the young people of the Barony with crafts and other activities;

To Master Alaric MacConnal, who lightened the autocrat’s load in so many ways -- with the music of his recorder as I entered the Lodge in the morning, to gifting me with a scrumptious zucchini loaf, to helping at Troll, and on and on until the end of the night, when he stacked chairs on table in the dining room for clean up;

To Annaleigh, who, at the last minute, responded to my plea for a tent, of all things, and brought with her not one, but two tents, so that the Royal Liaison could select which would be better utilized for a Royalty Retiring Tent;

To Mistress Arianna of Wynthrope, who was able to interpret my vague request for “songs” and produced instead a concert of the angelic voices of the Debatable Choir; and again my thanks to Mistress Arianna, who was able to switch from “angelic” to “devilish” with apparent ease to be the power behind the thrones of the King and “Queen” of Misrule;

To THLord Cadell Blaidd Du, who entertained many with games for almost the entire day (a hardship, I am sure), producing joy in the hearts of parents and players alike;

To Lord Cai o’r Llyn, who devised a dance card of four sets of five dances each for the Twelfth Night Ball and worked with the Debatable Consort to provide live music for all those happy feet;

To Lord Gabriel Hawke, for marshalling the Bear Pit for those from near and far who wished to get a bit of exercise -- I am always in awe at the expertise of our fighters; no wonder Trimaris wants BMDL fighters at Gulf Wars!

To THLord Kieran MacRae, for running a spirited Fun Fighting Tourney that had everyone who watched cheering and laughing, and congratulations to all who participated; thanks also to THLord Kieran for the fanfare that started the procession of Royalty for Court;

To Lord Liam Macan Tsaoir, who volunteered to organize the Silent Auction, and did such an amazing job of getting fabulous donations and selling tickets, that his efforts garnered over $300;

To Dame Margaret Makafee, for organizing the table for the Quilt Project in Memory of Baroness Tatyana, where many hands spent much time working to memorialize this great Lady;

To THLady Maria Christina de Cordoba, my gratitude for coming such a long way to be the MOL for our Bear Pit, and enabling our fighters to play with such enthusiasm;

To Master Michael Alewright, who wore several hats at the Barony Twelfth Night Celebration (in addition to his usual natty chapeau) -- he organized and led the Bardic Circle and the competition for the Baroness’ Bard Champion, as well as performing as the Jester for the King and “Queen” of Misrule;

To Lady Muirghen Gaelbhain, who made every effort to show Basil and Bast, the DVD book about the Hundred Years’ War; that she was not able to do so was my failure entirely and none of hers, and so I thank her most sincerely for her efforts;

To THLady Myfanwy ferch Rhiannon, for helping the children of the Barony frost and decorate cookies amid the mayhem; those cookies were placed onto the A&S Display table for all to see and admire;

To Lady Odriana vander Brugghe, for locating and publicizing the web site www.luckypotluck.com to track everyone’s food contributions, and also for organizing the A&S Display of beautiful works;

To Lord Pavel Dudoladov, who ensured that the needs of I Genesii were seen to, and that there would be time in the day’s schedule for the performance;

To THLord Urho Waltterinen and the bakers of the Barony, the thanks of all who enjoyed the many entries in the Cookie Competion, easily the yummiest activity of the day, and many thanks also to the Royalty, Their Excellencies, and the Judges for unswerving dedication and thoroughness in sampling every cookie (some of them twice) before considering and selecting the Favorites;

To those who attended the Barony Twelfth Night Celebration and brought AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF FOOD, sincerest Thanks! The potluck was remarkable not only for quantity and quality, but also for variety -- many must have agonized over choosing just what to sample. As always, if you went home hungry, it was not because of a lack of dishes.

To my assistant, Violante de Luna, and my helpers-of-the day, Shelly Bauer, Jeremy Weir, and John Weir, who uncomplainingly did every task I asked them to: they carried tables and chairs up stairs and down, and from room to room to room, unloaded people’s cars (including mine) and loaded them back up again, set up and tore down everything from thrones to umbrellas, emptied garbage cans and cleaned tables, and were among the last to leave;

To the many others who stayed to the end to help clean after the Ball was over -- Master Michael Alewright, Master Alaric MacConnal, Lord Cai o’r Llyn, Lord Pavel Dudoladov, THLord Brandubh o Donnghaile, THLady Hilderun Hugelmann, Dame Elsbeth Anne Roth, Lady Saskia van Ouwater, Lady Rosalia Iuliana Andere, Lord Charles de Cayeux, and THLady Roana d Evreux -- to these kind gentles, I am very grateful, as they stayed to help without needing to be asked.

And finally, my thanks to THLady Hilderun Hugelmann, who mentored me gently and with much encouragement through my first autocratting experience. When I needed her, she was there for me.

One last note: if I have omitted to express my gratitude to anyone who helped with Twelfth Night, it is not because I am not grateful for your help, it is only that my memory and note-making are imperfect at best. Please feel free to remind me so that I may thank you as you deserve.

It cannot be said too many times: to all who labored to make the Barony Twelfth Night Celebration such a success: Thank You!

Yours in Service,
Lady Elss of Augsburg
Autocrat