[SCA-BMDL] possibly OT - List of potential sites?

Ruth Morrisson myfanwy at nauticom.net
Thu Nov 29 16:40:50 EST 2007

Greetings from Myfanwy!
I think Gretchen's correct about St. Nicholas (that's the site of the
Greek Food Festival every year, BTW).  Boy have I lusted after that
space for some really huge event like a Coronation or 12th Night, but
I'm pretty sure that even if we could work out something with their
caterers -- and mostly in the past when professional caterers are told
what SCA feasts entail and what we charge for them they think we're
nuts -- I suspect that the cost of the hall itself would be
prohibitive.  Although I wonder now whether some places that we
couldn't use in the past because of similar issues (i.e., must go
through their caterer) could be assuaged by Alastar and me walking in
with our County Food Handlers'  certificate, like with the place where
the War College was held a couple of years ago.
As for the other sites that were on the list, St. Andrew's was used a
few years ago (nine or ten) for some Cour d'Or event (Harvest
Festival?), and I remember the hall being extremely small.  Don't
remember about the kitchen itself.
Years ago, when a bunch of people were looking for a Crown Tourney
sites (it wound up being at Brady's Run Park up in Beaver County) I
called a whole lot of places and looked at a number.  There was a place
somewhere up on the North Side that sat 450 but had not much parking
and no place to do fighting.  Freydis Thorunnsdatter and I went to see
it and she was just lusting over the kitchen, until the priest who was
showing it to us said "Oh, but you can't use the kitchen -- the little
old ladies in the congregation do catering out of that kitchen!"  Mind
you, I had said in the original phone conversation that we were looking
for a site where we *could* use the kitchen....  We said thank you and
goodbye really quickly.  Sigh.  (If it's the place I'm thinking of, it
no longer even has parking -- they put senior citizen housing on what
used to be the lot.)