[SCA-BMDL] Niche events

Jennifer Strobel bradley2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 2 14:48:41 EST 2007

Just my .02, standard disclaimers apply.

Niche events give me the opportunity to learn something about that =

specific time and place, and it may be a time and place I'd never =

considered to be interesting prior to finding out how to best be part of =

that niche event.  It gives me a context that causes me to stretch =

myself a bit to learn more.

For example:

Vetr Thing lead me to do research on Frisians and Frisian food, which =

has become something I have continued in and found a great deal of =

enjoyment with.  I have, in fact, continued my research to encompass =

more than just the food.  That particular exercise in stretching my =

knowledge has given me more than a little pleasure.

Agincourt gave me the opportunity to learn more about Humeral theory to =

create a believable menu at dinner and to learn more about preservation =

techniques, how an army marched on its stomach, and what environment a =

French cook connected with the French military would have been cooking =

in (availability of ingredients, cooking techniques, preservation =

techniques, etc) to present a proper lunch.

Now, those are the events where I had a specific role to play.

For events where I've been a participant, I've ended up doing research =

on the clothing and culture so that I can be a more involved =

participant.  I agree with Kazi's observation that you get a better =

sense of suspended disbelief when you have a more unified event theme =

and people are playing along.  It's certainly a different, and somehow =

more special experience than the "normal" SCA event.

I also agree with the "stew" analogy.  I like stew, but really, it's the =

fancy restaurant I look forward to going to.

Just some thoughts,

Odriana