[SCA-BMDL] Niche events

KaziBrionSCA KaziBrionSCA at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 2 14:26:05 EST 2007

 Greetings to all!

Generally I agree with Roana, both with enjoying and declining a niche
event, depending in interest level.  That's why it's a niche event.

To add my own twist, I really enjoy immersing myself at playing pretend.  At
the Vetr Thing, I made makeshift Viking garb, and we pretended to be
Vikings, fought like Vikings, ate like Vikings, I wrote a Norse style poem,
etc.  It was a grand time.  There was a sense of suspended disbelief.  For
whatever reason, SCA is becoming "normal" for me.  It's no longer as
breathtakingly exciting and special as it used to be in my first 5 or so
years of participation.  The stew effect may be part of it.

I do not have the luxury to play the persona game in depth.  I am pulled in
too many directions, both mundanely and in the SCA.  A niche event gives me
a structured settings where the event's limitations to a particular culture
allow me to enjoy only one thing at a time.  Including a taste of  harkarl
:-)

Kazi
*****************

<<I agree with many of the sentiments already expressed on the list, but
also wanted to throw in my own two
cents:

The niche event can be an interesting way to learn a little about something
new.

OTOH, sometimes a niche event does, in fact, not interest me: I didn't
attend the Mongol event, for instance, and I may decline to attend
martial-only events like War Collegia.

Sometimes I go to a niche event because I am in some way helping with the
event (kitchen, serving, setup/cleanup, music, or the like), because I've
been tipped off that a friend will receive an award there, or because
friends are 'working the event' and I'd like to hang out with them.

Sometimes a niche event is fun to attend -- even if it's unrelated to my
regular persona, as the Vetr Things were -- because the niche event has a
more authentic feel to it: less of the random mish-mash of clothing and
activities from many times and places that is the norm at 'standard' SCA
events.  Sure, it's still not a hardcore 'period experience' but it feels
*closer* when you don't have Bog dresses next to Elizabethan gowns.

Just a few more thoughts to throw into the mix.>>
~~Roana
-----