[SCA-BMDL] Bad publicity (not)

Ruth Morrisson myfanwy at nauticom.net
Sun Jan 14 11:42:25 EST 2007

Greetings from Myfanwy!
I agree with Arianna.  The kid sounds like, well, a kid, with the
somewhat gushing enthusiasm of a teenager, and everyone else sounded ok.
If you want an example of *bad* publicity, go look at that old show
"Unsolved Mysteries", and the episode about some guy in the West
Kingdom who got involved, IIRC, with a Wiccan group after joining the
SCA (his body was found at the bottom of a cliff, and his father was
convinced it wasn't an accident).
The story was just this side of actionable.  They never out and out
accused either the SCA or the Wiccan group, but they *implied* a hell
of a lot -- a prime example of prurient tabloid journalism.
On Saturday, January 13, 2007, at 12:44  PM, Karen Kasper wrote:

> I disagree.  The SCA is much better known these days than it used to
> be (when I tell mundanes I'm involved, there is a light of recognition
> now that was not there 20 years ago).  None of the people quoted said
> anything outrageous, and several pointed out the educational benefits
> of the SCA.
>
> We've had a whole lot worse than this, and few better.
>
> Arianna
>
> Cara and Char <caram at imap.pitt.edu> wrote:
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070113/ap_on_re_us/medieval_re_enactors
>
> In my opinion, this is bad publicity. Even if you agree with the
> SCAdians
> who are quoted, most of them come across as looney (except Viscount Sir
> Edward and the Simmons College student, who both managed to get some
> decent
> quotes in).
>
> --Byron
>

> Karen Kasper
>
> "I told myself that acts of folly are the only things that one doesn't
> regret in life." - Jean-Paul Guyot
>
> "I believe in the indomitable human spirit and the amazing capacity we
> have for understanding the world; for love, joy and happiness." -
> Michael Shermer

<image.tiff>