[SCA-BMDL] Winter Archery Challenge

Ben Cogan donnghaile at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:31:23 EST 2007

Greetings Archers of the Barony!

I, Brandubh O'Donnghaile, Archery Champion of the the Barony-Marche of the
Debatable Lands, issue forth a challenge to all archers in the Barony, the
Canton of Steltonwald and the College of Cour d'Or.  The winter months are
upon us and the chill wind has beset us, the time has come to move inside.
There we can shoot in the warmth, but at the price of losing distance.  What
we need is a contest to keep our skills sharp over the long winter.  To that
end, I Challenge all archers of the Debatable Lands, Steltonwald and Cour
d'Or to a contest of skill to last us through the long cold winter.

The method of this challenge shall be the Gwyntarian Winter Archery
Challenge.  http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html
<http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html>

The challenge is to shoot and submit scores of quality, they are listed by
highest acheivement rather than based on an average.

The challenge consists of 8 ends all shot at 20 yards (youth may shoot them
at 10 yards).

Two ends of 6 arrows or bolts shot at a 40 cm 5 ring target (Normal Royal
Rounds are scored on a 60 cm 5 ring target)

Two timed ends of 30 seconds shot at a 40 cm 5 ring target.  Archers who do
not shoot six arrows will receive bonus points for arrows unshot, if you
shoot 6 or more arrows there is no bonus.  You must shoot at least one
scoring arrow per end to gain the bonus points.  (20 points shot with 5
arrows would be 20+1, 4 arrows would be +2, etc)

Two ends of 6 at a wand target 36" tall, 6" wide with a 2" strip down the
center.  The center strip counts for 5 points, while the outer sides are 3.
Target available http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wand.pdf

Two ends of 6 at a bull's eye target with center ring diameter of 4" and
outer ring diameter of 8.5"  5 points for strikes in the center ring, 3
points for stirkes in the outer ring.
Target available http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/bullseye.pdf

Scores with break down, SCA name, Mundane name, type of bow, draw weight,
and whether or not sights (limb markings or peep sights) are used, group and
kingdom should be emailed to:
 obsidian at raex.com
 Scoresheet Available http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Challscor.xls

I will track all archers from our group, and the winners will be announced
and prizes awarded in the Spring.  The contest ends on April 22, 2008, good
shooting!

Debatable Lands now has an indoor archery site for the winter, where this
shoot will be set up and scored every Sunday from 11AM to 2PM (and possibly
later, depending on Urho) at 2839 Liberty Ave in the Strip District of
Pittsburgh.  It is the 6th floor of a warehouse on the corner of Liberty and
29th.  The garage doors will be open on 29th St, which take you in to the
elevator.

Steltonwald also has a suitable sight for this shoot at the Beaver Valley
Archery Club on Monday nights(Contact Fintan for Details).

Cheers,
Brandubh