[SCA-BMDL] BMDL camp improvements

KaziBrionSCA KaziBrionSCA at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 13 16:36:18 EDT 2007

Greetings to all BMDL Campers from Kazi!

I was the Camp Mom this year, and it was a really boring job.  I had very
little to do.  I don't know exactly who was responsible for doing what, but
garbage got taken out (even recycled!), lights were lit, and the Box of
Shame was never full of forgotten items.  Everybody pitched in.

I'd like to thank Rhona for taking the initiative for recycling the plastic,
metal, and glass at the War.  The oversized carbon footprint of Pennic has
always bothered me.  I'd like to thank all the people who renewed the
ditches and kept ours, and theirs, tents from being entirely flooded.

 As to Their Excellencies' comments, I would like to add:
-3)  I like the viking chairs, but they need a more level terrain, which we
don't have.  Could a piece of wood be screwed to the front part so it's more
of a tripod and they are rendered more stable?  Travesty, I know...but safer
and more usable.

-2) Having two fire pits resulted in the camp being divided into two social
groups, and if I didn't visit "the younger crowd", it's because there was a
fire and company closer by, and at a late hour it felt more like
party-hopping than visiting.  Perhaps we could do one central fire next
year, in the corner of the L? (esp. with the gate and common tent in that
area, says Brion)

-1) Rhona suggested replacing the water jet of the sink with a real, more
controllable spigot.

0) We may want to strive for digging the sump in one of the original sump
holes, to cut down on potential ankle hazards.

My comments to TE's comments are below.

Best regards,

Kazi

1) Clock for common tent (Byron and Ariella thought they could provide)

2) Styrofoam castle gate (which is showing wear and becoming more
challenging to touch up).  We could consider replacing it with a nice wooden
sign (Kazi mentioned she could spearhead creation of such a sign) and an
entry pavillion with long banner poles that would mark the front of the
encampment.

	(I'd like to make a wooden sign with our name and a comet, in our
colors, carved and painted, and I'd like to see it attached to two sturdy
poles housed in two portable holes each.  Each pole would have a device on
top which would provide for a flagpole and a banner.  Also, I 	would like
to see a large sheet-wall to each side of the gate, stretched prettily and
painted with something baronial so it coordinates with 	existing sheet
walls.  It would provide a privacy screen for at least a part of the common
tent.  Or how about enough large sheet walls for 	privacy for both
parts of common tent, if we had one tent on each side of the gate? - if you
are interested in participating, contact me 	off-list. Kazi.)

3) More height and width to the dark canvas common tent so the canvas
covering could fit better.  Pavel offered to research this.

4) Lighting: Logan offered to research olive oil lamps (having gone to the
class at Pennsic).  Another box of tea lights from IKEA would be good.  The
kerosene lamps were popular as they are easy to light and bright.

	(I saw olive oil lamps used very effectively in another camp and it
gives off lots of light, looks good, and isn't explosive.  As to kerosene,
I'd 	like to 	switch to propane, since propane mini-tanks can be
switched without lowering the hot lantern.  Brion bought a dozen propane
mini-	tanks 	already, we thought that's what we would have...Also, our
light level will increase with light colored canvas and tables.  We could
take a 	cheap white fabric and slide 3 - 4 strips of it between the dark
canvas and the poles.  It will reflect light better.  Also, light colored
table 	cloths would help.  Like, wipe-clean plastic ones, or painting the
tables an off-white color.  We could use a 3rd table, too. Kazi.)

5) Poles for banners: Byron and Ariella noted lots of nice (and some faded)
banners but a lack of good carrying poles for some.  This resulted in less
than splendid Opening Ceremonies pageantry.  Byron and Ariella will obtain
more poles by next Pennsic.

	(I silk-painted the very faded silk ones.  My technique, esp.
stabilization of dye, is at a beginner level. Feel free to either throw them
out, 	or give to someone for re-dyeing.  If they are all dyed black, they
could be made into veils, or their edges could be beaded for goblet
covers. Kazi)

6) Few black sheet walls (more than enough yellow sheet walls):  Sandy had
offered to make some more black ones and Saskia will research the comet silk
screen design to see if it still exists or has to be recreated.

7)  Propane knowledge:  many of us noted that we did not know how to set up
or change propane tanks for the shower etc.  We could have a demo during
camp set up next year.

8) Hose: a short hose (between 10-20 feet long) is needed and Ariella and
Byron can provide that.

9)  2 fire extinguishers:  Clemente mentioned he might be able to provide
for next year

	(We brought 1 extinguisher and 2 buckets.  The extinguisher and 1
bucket lived in the lower camp, other bucket lived by the barional tent.
Yet another problem with a camp divided.)

10) Bar: Dance Guild enthusiastic about this one :)

11) Broom for sweeping dead grass off tents before packing them up

12)  Dry Erase Board as part of camp:  Thanks to Fynthcor for the use this
year, but we would like to have one for the camp.

13)  Camp rearrangement: We considered having Byron and Ariella's tent (and
kid tent and regalia tent) facing onto the common tent as we are often up
early and can sleep through much at night.  We talked about maintaining the
arrangement in which the common tents are on the road side of the camp to
minimize the number of tents subjected to morning and evening communal
noise.

	(Brion and I think that moving the common tent to the corner of the
L would work well, as there was a lot of traffic over the low sheet
walls.  There can always be a small gate on the eastern side of that wall
for people who are going out that way. It may work well with only 	one
fire pit as well.)

Kazi had generously offered to host a pizza party for post-Pennsic
discussion of camp issues and improvements.  One spontaneously took place
Saturday afternoon as a group sat in the common tent, and having camp around
us was a good memory trigger.  However, Kazi, Brion, Giovanni, Urho, and
others were not there, so this is just a start of discussion.  We thought
the Washington Blvd site meeting was well attended and a good place and
time, so we had mentioned that as possibly more convenient than a separate
meeting at Kazi and Brion's house.

Overall, we were so happy with our experience with the Barony encampment and
getting to camp with this great group!  Thank you for a most excellent first
Pennsic with the Barony!

In Service,
Byron and Ariella