[SCA-BMDL] BMDL camp improvements

Cara & Char caram at pitt.edu
Mon Aug 13 11:08:17 EDT 2007

Greetings to all the Barony and we hope your Pennsic, while wet and humid, was a good one!
What follows pertains to the Barony encampment and plans for next year; we decided to send it out to the Barony list as there have been concerns about some not receiving emails on the encampment-only list.
As we sat in the common tent Saturday afternoon, we looked around and brainstormed about what we would like for next year.  Here is the list of ideas as well as people who offered assistance:
1) Clock for common tent (Byron and Ariella thought they could provide)

2) Styrofoam castle gate (which is showing wear and becoming more challenging to touch up).  We could consider replacing it with a nice wooden sign (Kazi mentioned she could spearhead creation of such a sign) and an entry pavillion with long banner poles that would mark the front of the encampment.

3) More height and width to the dark canvas common tent so the canvas covering could fit better.  Pavel offered to research this.

4) Lighting: Logan offered to research olive oil lamps (having gone to the class at Pennsic).  Another box of tea lights from IKEA would be good.  The kerosene lamps were popular as they are easy to light and bright.

5) Poles for banners: Byron and Ariella noted lots of nice (and some faded) banners but a lack of good carrying poles for some.  This resulted in less than splendid Opening Ceremonies pageantry.  Byron and Ariella will obtain more poles by next Pennsic.

6) Few black sheet walls (more than enough yellow sheet walls):  Sandy had offered to make some more black ones and Saskia will research the comet silk screen design to see if it still exists or has to be recreated.

7)  Propane knowledge:  many of us noted that we did not know how to set up or change propane tanks for the shower etc.  We could have a demo during camp set up next year.

8) Hose: a short hose (between 10-20 feet long) is needed and Ariella and Byron can provide that.

9)  2 fire extinguishers:  Clemente mentioned he might be able to provide for next year

10) Bar: Dance Guild enthusiastic about this one :)

11) Broom for sweeping dead grass off tents before packing them up

12)  Dry Erase Board as part of camp:  Thanks to Fynthcor for the use this year, but we would like to have one for the camp.

13)  Camp rearrangement: We considered having Byron and Ariella's tent (and kid tent and regalia tent) facing onto the common tent as we are often up early and can sleep through much at night.  We talked about maintaining the arrangement in which the common tents are on the road side of the camp to minimize the number of tents subjected to morning and evening communal noise.

Kazi had generously offered to host a pizza party for post-Pennsic discussion of camp issues and improvements.  One spontaneously took place Saturday afternoon as a group sat in the common tent, and having camp around us was a good memory trigger.  However, Kazi, Brion, Giovanni, Urho, and others were not there, so this is just a start of discussion.  We thought the Washington Blvd site meeting was well attended and a good place and time, so we had mentioned that as possibly more convenient than a separate meeting at Kazi and Brion's house.

Overall, we were so happy with our experience with the Barony encampment and getting to camp with this great group!  Thank you for a most excellent first Pennsic with the Barony!

In Service,
Byron and Ariella