[SCA-BMDL] The Academy of St. Julian - a music & dance schola

Clemente de Warrewyk warrewyk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 09:36:32 EST 2006

Academy of St. Julian

Saint Julian, the patron saint of minstrels and wandering musicians,
was known for offering hospitality to weary travelers. This winter, in
the same tradition, the Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands welcomes
you in from the cold for a day of music and dance!

This event will be a music and dance schola, featuring classes on a
variety of musical subjects, as well as dance instruction. In
addition, there will be musical performances including an appearance
by the barony's own Debatable Choir. The evening will conclude with a
ball in the William Pitt Union's beautiful ballroom, with music
provided by the Debatable Consort. There will also be a Middle Eastern
dance area. And there are rumors that those rascals from I Genesii may
even make an appearance for a dance or two!

Delicious food will be available all day from a sideboard presented by
the BMDL Cooks' Guild under the supervision of THL Michelina Cenomani
da Trento. The site Is dry, so no alcohol please.

The event will be held on February 17, 2007, from 12:00 noon to
10:00pm at the William Pitt Union on the University of Pittsburgh main
campus, in the Ballroom, Kurtzman Room, Dining Rooms A & B, and room
511.  The address is 3959 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh,  PA 15260.

The site fee will be $7.00 (including the all-day sideboard). Children
ages 6-12 shall be half price, and children under 5 get in for free.
The nonmember surcharge will apply. Due to site policy, there will be
no advance reservations taken. All money will be collected at the
door. Make checks payable to "SCA Inc. – BMDL".

However, if you plan to attend please let us know, so the cooks will
be prepared! Contact Lady Helewys Spynnere (Jill Zofchak, 209 Avenue
F, Pittsburgh, PA 15221; 412-829-1366; Helewys at gmail.com) and indicate
that you are coming. Any questions should be addressed to the
autocrat, Lord Clemente de Warrewyk (Matthew Zofchak; 209 Avenue F,
Pittsburgh, PA 15221; 412-829-1366; warrewyk at gmail.com). Gentles with
special dietary requirements are requested to please contact THL
Michelina Cenomani da Trento (Michelle Bucilli, 412-828-3361) at least
two weeks prior to the event.

If you are interested in teaching a class or making a musical
performance at the Academy of St. Julian, please contact the class
coordinator, THL Brandubh O Donnghaile (donnghaile at gmail.com) or the
autocrat.

There are still many slots open for both music and dance classes, at all levels!

Directions:

… from the East: Cars traveling from the east via the Pennsylvania
Turnpike (I-76) should take Exit 57 to I-376 West. From I-376 (the
"Parkway East") take Exit 3B (Oakland) onto Bates Street. Stay on
Bates until it ends at Bouquet Street. Turn left onto Bouquet, then
right at the first light onto Forbes Avenue.  The William Pitt Union
will be on the left after one long block.  The entrance is on the
opposite side of the building, on Fifth   Avenue.

... from the West: Cars traveling from the west via the Pennsylvania
Turnpike (I-76) should take Exit 28 and follow I-79 South to I-279
South. (You exit to the left off of I-79.) Follow 279 into Downtown
Pittsburgh and take the I-376 (Monroeville) exit. Take exit 2A
(Oakland) onto Forbes Avenue, which leads right into the Pitt campus.

... from the North: Take I-79 South to I-279 South. (You exit to the
left off I-79.) Follow I-279 into the city, to the I-376 Monroeville
Exit. Follow I-376 to Exit 2A (Oakland). Forbes Avenue then leads
right into the Pitt campus.

... from the South, including Pittsburgh International Airport: Follow
I-79 North to the exit for I-279 North. Take I-279 through the Fort
Pitt Tunnels and across the bridge to the I-376 Monroeville Exit
(first exit on the right on the far side of the bridge). Follow I-376
to Exit 2A (Oakland). Forbes Avenue leads into the Pitt campus.

Parking is available on the street (please bring quarters for the
parking meter!), or in the Soldiers and Sailors parking garage, right
across Fifth Avenue from the William Pitt Union.  The parking garage
is located underground, under the Soldiers and Sailors Hall lawn.  The
entrance is off of Bigelow Boulevard.