[SCA-BMDL] OT- Cold drinks at fighting/fencing practice

Tessa the Huntress tessathehuntress at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 17 13:16:31 EDT 2005

I, personally like Kazi's idea and I think it's worth trying.  Especially,
since it sounds like people can get specific single serving drinks that they
want.  At practise, people often drive down to get specific drinks or bring
their own.   This would be more convient for many and won't even cost them
more (it may even save them money).

Having a cooler with a cold drink in it, especially for those who didn't
bring money is still nice, but I don't see why these two items have to be
exclusive of each other.

The point of doing the drinks is to help those Scadian families that we know
have been effected.  Recently, I've heard a number of horror stories about
red cross, not helping some families or about what percentage of donations
go to their overhead.  I'm not telling anyone not to donate to red cross, I
just know I would much rather see money and gift cards given thru our SCA
channels, since we are paying our own costs (no over head charges), so all
of the donated money gets to those that need it.  We can ensure this gets
directly to those that have lost everything.. or almost everything.  I know
I would be happy to pay for a drink at practice, especially for such a good
cause.

Please let me know how it goes.  If it's successful or shows good potential
(which it already has, IMO), I would like to share this with our other
groups.  They need money and/or gift cards really bad now.. so whatever We
can do to help that, would be great.

Thanks for the great idea, Kazi.  :)

Tessa
Regina

  As Chirurgeon I have been providing a large cooler  provided by the Barony
with cold drink in it (flavor depends on what I can get) for the last month
or two free of charge as part of my duties as chirurgeon.  I want to keep my
fighter friends well hydrated without worry.

  I support the effort to help the hurricane victims.  However I'll still be
providing drinks at Fighter/Fencing practice free of charge. I don't want to
seem anti fundraising help, but perhaps individuals wishing to help
financialy might want to donate dirrectly to the Red Cross.

  Constance BMDL Chirurgeon