AW: openslide_read_region filling buffer with 0's for Mirax

PD Dr. med. M. Weihrauch m.weihrauch at smartinmedia.com
Fri Apr 10 09:42:32 EDT 2020

The truth is (for Germany) that most scanners sold are still for isolated research projects. Digital pathology as a “complete digitalization” of a diagnostic pathology institute is not yet happening. However, the “game” is slowly starting now and there will be pressure coming from the doctors as soon as they want to interact with colleagues hitting a brick wall of vendor formats.
I know that some of the vendors already have a hard time selling their scanners due to bad (non-open) formats.

There are some great developments though (not yet marketing). One engineer husband of a dermatopathologist now builds his own scanners with a Kuka robot arm in between loading them. When I first saw this, I could not speak for 10 minutes – it really was like this first iphone moment.

After having scruitinized all available scanners on the market he quickly saw that NONE of them was ready for digitalizing 1,000 slides per day. Most scanner vendors do the same mistake: all 1,000 slides queue in front of only one objective. Or you buy 3 scanners (a 250,000€) to speed up the process, which no pathologist will ever invest due to lack of return of investment. Thus, he took his wife’s fate into his own hand and started constructing scanners. I really hope his small company will succeed.

This is super intriguing and I can share a video to anyone interested (you can email me personally).

He is using – and John you will love this – the SZI format 😊

Hope, things will change for the better, my company is working hard on that.

Best

Martin