Request some help on getting started with OpenSlide

Evert Trollip evert.trollip at stonethree.com
Wed Feb 17 04:21:05 EST 2016

Good day,

I am currently investigating the possible use of OpenSlide for a project
with large images in a GUI program that needs to be "easy to zoom, smooth,
flicker free". I downloaded the source files and tried to run my first
program but had little success. Please allow me to explain what I did. (I'm
still a bit of a beginner, so please excuse me if I did something "stupid")

*Operating System*
Ubuntu 14.04

*Download*
I firstly downloaded the latest stable source files (V3.4.1) from
http://openslide.org/download/ and extracted the contents into
/home/<UserName>/openslide-master. This file contains various folders and
files including the README.txt

*Opened an IDE*
I then tried to write my first program in an IDE using QtCreator 3.3.1
(opensource) based on Qt 5.4.1 (GCC 4.6.1, 64 bit). I wrote the following
code (source and project files are attached):

#include <iostream>
> extern "C" {
> #include "../../openslide-master/src/openslide.h"
> }

int main()
> {
>     std::cout << "Welcome to OpenSlide Version: " <<
> openslide_get_version() << std::endl;
>     return 0;
> }

I also added the following to my project (.pro) file:

LIBS += -L${libdir} -lopenslide
> CCFLAG += -I${includedir}/openslide

However, I get the following build error:

/home/evert/OpenSlide/FirstProgram/main.cpp:13: error: undefined reference
> to `openslide_get_version'

It seems that it doesn't seem to find the library file functions even
though I added the header file and linked against openslide? Any help would
be appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Evert