A portable OpenSlide viewer for Windows: Smart Zoom Viewer

Priv.-Doz. Dr. M. Weihrauch martin.weihrauch at uni-koeln.de
Thu Nov 12 09:32:30 EST 2015

Dear OpenSliders:

I always needed a Windows viewer for many different slide formats...
Thus, in addition to our VM / Smart Zoom platform for Universities,
Smart In Media has now released a Windows-based viewer for OpenSlide and
SZI-images: The Smart Zoom Viewer. It's a portable software, so you can
just download the ZIP, unzip it to e. g. a USB stick and run the
"SmartZoomViewer.exe". You can view slides with the software or with
most of the browsers. If you find bugs, pls report either through the
contact form or to info at smartinmedia.com

As a thank-you to the OpenSlide community, we will currently*grant free
licenses to academics and researchers*.
You can download the software at http://www.smartzoom.com (go to Smart
Zoom Viewer).
To apply for a free license, you can fill out the form on the page and
we'll reply.

Greetings from Cologne

Martin

PS: SZI is the "Smart Zoom image format" defined by John Cupitt and me.
It's a way to present high resolution images very fast. To convert an
OpenSlide image to a SZI image, just use VIPS, e. g.:
vips dzsave bigimage.svs bigimage.szi --overlap=0
and it'll create an SZI, which can also be opened with our viewer