A portable OpenSlide viewer for Windows: Smart Zoom Viewer

jcupitt at gmail.com jcupitt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 07:41:33 EST 2015

On 1 December 2015 at 14:12, Josef Bauer via openslide-users
<openslide-users at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Is there a list of available OpenSlide Viewers (like the SmartZoomViewer)
> for speed comparison?

I don't know of a list offhand. Benjamin wrote a nice openslide reader
for the vips image processing package, so all vips GUIs can display
openslide. The official vips GUI is nip2:

  http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Nip2

There's a win32 binary here:

  http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/supported/current/win32/nip2-8.0-1-setup.zip

Or it should be available in your package manager on linux. I must
update the OS X package, the most recent one is here:

  http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/supported/7.40/osx/

To try it, start nip2 and drag the openslide image into the window (or
use File / Open and load the file). You'll get a thumbnail in the
workspace, double-click that to open a view window. There's a section
in the manual about how to drive the view window and the main
workspace window:

  http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/supported/current/doc/html/nipguide/nipguidese1.html#x7-60002.1

It's not that quick for displaying openslide images: it doesn't
exploit openslide's levels system, so zooming out is slow. We are
hoping to fix this in the next major version. The display control bar
is handy though.

Obviously it's closer to something like imagej than a plain viewer.
Try clicking Toolkits / Filter / Convolution / Sobel, for example, or
typing "A1 * 2 - 100" in the text box.

John