open slide installation 3.4.0 home brew Mac os x 10.10

Travis May travis.may.11 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:11:01 EST 2014

Thank you for your help benjamin.

I think I will go this route, but there are a couple points and questions
to follow-up for completeness.

I think it is frowned upon to use two package managers Homebrew and
Macports. Homebrew specifically warns you if you have both, but i'm not too
familiar with the issues.
​
*​"​You should be able to install all of OpenSlide's dependencies through
should be ​​able to install all of OpenSlide's dependencies
through Homebrew, and then build ​​OpenSlide itself from source with
./configure && make && make install.  You don't ​​need to create a new
Homebrew recipe, and you shouldn't need to compile any ​​other packages
yourself. *

Unfortunately, it ​was not that easy for me. I installed all of the
dependencies first and tried to build from source and it still couldn't
find the correct pkgconfig path.

*If OpenSlide fails to configure using the default ​​PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
you should set it to the path to Homebrew's pkgconfig ​​directory, which
will be something like /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.​"*

​To clarify do I change the PKG_CONFIG_PATH for my system, or somwhere in
Openslide?

I already changed my systems path like ​you mention and no luck.

Anyway, I think i will go ahead with MacPorts but if others have problems,
hopefully someone has the answers to the above.

Thanks
Travis

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> On 11/08/2014 12:11 PM, Travis May wrote:
> > Hello, I've had a very difficult time trying to install openslide on
> > Yosemite. Home brew works fine but only points to the 3.3 version which
> > won't work with the open slide python which tells me I need version
3.4.0.

> FWIW, the easiest way to get OpenSlide working on Mac OS X is to use
> MacPorts.  I maintain the MacPorts packages myself, so they're always
> the latest version.  MacPorts also has a package for OpenSlide Python.
>
> > I've tried to write a new home brew recipe and download from source and
> > compile myself using the given autoconfig instructions but I keep
> > hitting a wall when it comes to setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH .
>
> You should be able to install all of OpenSlide's dependencies through
> Homebrew, and then build OpenSlide itself from source with ./configure
> && make && make install.  You don't need to create a new Homebrew
> recipe, and you shouldn't need to compile any other packages yourself.
> If OpenSlide fails to configure using the default PKG_CONFIG_PATH, you
> should set it to the path to Homebrew's pkgconfig directory, which will
> be something like /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.
>
> --Benjamin Gilbert

Travis May