open slide installation 3.4.0 home brew Mac os x 10.10

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 8 15:03:48 EST 2014

On 11/08/2014 12:11 PM, Travis May wrote:
> Hello, I've had a very difficult time trying to install openslide on
> Yosemite. Home brew works fine but only points to the 3.3 version which
> won't work with the open slide python which tells me I need version 3.4.0.

FWIW, the easiest way to get OpenSlide working on Mac OS X is to use
MacPorts.  I maintain the MacPorts packages myself, so they're always
the latest version.  MacPorts also has a package for OpenSlide Python.

> I've tried to write a new home brew recipe and download from source and
> compile myself using the given autoconfig instructions but I keep
> hitting a wall when it comes to setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH .

You should be able to install all of OpenSlide's dependencies through
Homebrew, and then build OpenSlide itself from source with ./configure
&& make && make install.  You don't need to create a new Homebrew
recipe, and you shouldn't need to compile any other packages yourself.
If OpenSlide fails to configure using the default PKG_CONFIG_PATH, you
should set it to the path to Homebrew's pkgconfig directory, which will
be something like /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.