Support for ICC profiles

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 12 22:53:40 EDT 2014

On 08/12/2014 07:02 AM, John Stevenson-Hoare wrote:
> Many of the vendor formats can or do embed an ICC profile in the file
> along with the scan and associated images.

 From the sample scans I have, Aperio seems to be the only supported
format that embeds an ICC profile, and then only for the main image.  Do
you have information on other formats embedding ICC profiles?

> Can I request that the API be extended to provide access to the
> profile(s)?

Probably a good idea.  I was thinking along the lines of John's proposal:

const void *openslide_get_icc_profile(openslide_t *osr,
	int64_t *length);

const void *openslide_get_associated_image_icc_profile(openslide_t *osr,
	const char *name, int64_t *length);

But that would require the ICC profiles to be kept in RAM for the life
of the openslide_t, and the Aperio profiles are 139 KB.  The
get_length() + read() approach doesn't have that problem but is uglier.
  I need to think about it some more.

Issue filed:

     https://github.com/openslide/openslide/issues/139