Using deepzoom_tile.py on Windows 32 Bit and other stuff

PD Dr. M. Weihrauch martin.weihrauch at uni-koeln.de
Wed Sep 26 14:33:32 EDT 2012

Dear All:

I have written a short "how-to-guide" for the installation of your great
scripts under Windows 32 - you will find it in the Openslide Wiki.

However, I would need your support for the technical part. I have the
following issues:

1. I succeeded in running the deepzoom_tile.py on Windows32bit as
mentioned (see wiki), so that is done.

2. However, I tried to do the same on a Windows 64 Bit. I installed
Python 2.6 for Win64, I downloaded the openslide binaries for 64 bit and
put them into system32 as well as the WOW64 folder directly. But, after
doing everything and running the deepzoom_tile.py, the script is running
but is constantly producing errors. I enclose a screenshot of my
DOS-window. Maybe you see, what the error could be.

3. Also, I saw that when I e. g. do: python deepzoom_tile.py
C:\testfolder\test.svs C:\testfolder\test, that the "test_files" is
created in the script-directory and not under C:\testfolder. That is on
both, 32/64 Bit Windows of course.

4. Now I would like to get the deepzoom_server.py to run on a Windows
server. However, this seems to be somewhat more tricky. The script tells
me that it needs the module flask. I looked it up on the flask-website
and this seems to be somewhat more complicated to install the entire
thing. To understand more about the concept of your script: as I have
seen from the source, it runs on port 5000.
a) Is one tile requested from the script at a time? And in what format?
Is the -c option for that?
b) A seadragon-client would then request tiles from the server and e. g.
an apache modrewrite is redirecting to the python script?
c) Isn't the python script to slow to serve tiles? E. g. on my regular
4-quad-core machine with 8 GB of RAM the static tiler does less than
1000 tiles per minute --> appr. 2,5 hours per 80,000 tiles total for an
image of appr. 60,000 x 60,000. If 10 users would surf on my server,
then there would be problems for the script to serve them quickly?!

5. Do you know, what the "overlap" in the deepzoom format is for? On the
web, nobody really seems to know, why an overlap should produce any
better results for the view than to have overlap=0. -

6. What are the options jobs, output and viewer for in your
deepzoom_tile.py? If viewer is default "true", there is no directory
being exported there (but I did not use the option). What are the
parameters that you can send? I. E.: --jobs=2 (?), --viewer=true /
false?, --output=?

Lastly, this is the short first description for your Wiki plus the
DOS-window with the errors.:

Thanks a lot!

Martin