Windows openslide

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 25 01:09:39 EDT 2012

On 09/24/2012 03:34 AM, Priv.-Doz. Dr. M. Weihrauch wrote:
> 1. Is there a possibility to set the JPEG-quality and the PNG-quality
> with the python script (I did not find anything in the python script and
> guess, it is regulated in the openslide.dll)?

OpenSlide returns uncompressed ARGB; the demo scripts handle the
compression.  In fact, both of them were hardcoding the compression
level.  I've added a -Q/--quality command-line option; you can pull the
updated scripts from Git.

Note that this only matters for JPEG, since PNG is lossless.  (There is
an optimize mode for PNG which can produce slightly smaller images, but
it is disabled for the reasons given in [1].)

> 2. Do you want me to write a short Windows-install documentation for
> your next release?   :)

That would be great!  The best place for the document is probably the
wiki[2].

--Benjamin Gilbert

[1] https://github.com/openslide/openslide-python/commit/3f1bad5e
[2] https://github.com/openslide/openslide/wiki