Using openslide with VIPS

John Minnie jminnie at live.com
Tue Sep 4 00:33:47 EDT 2012

Hi List,

In my quest to find an optimal viewer for MIRAX slides while I am working on openslide, I am trying out VIPS (http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS). Since openslide support was only added fairly recently to VIPS (7.27.*) and nip2, I decided to build both from source (7.30.*). I was able to build both projects and managed to start up nip2. I was able to browse to my mrxs files. However, even on the preview image when selecting an mrxs file, the thumbnail image updates painfully slow. Then upon opening my slide, it appears like nothing happens.

Now, I don't know if at this point I am dealing with an openslide issue or VIPS/nip2 issue, but so far I am not able to view even the the CMU-1 test slide. Does anybody else have successful experience of opening and viewing MIRAX data using openslide and VIPS? Any advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John