Using openslide with VIPS

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 4 12:19:49 EDT 2012

On 09/04/2012 12:33 AM, John Minnie wrote:
> I was able to build both
> projects and managed to start up nip2. I was able to browse to my mrxs
> files. However, even on the preview image when selecting an mrxs file,
> the thumbnail image updates painfully slow. Then upon opening my slide,
> it appears like nothing happens.

Hi John,

VIPS doesn't understand pyramidal images, so it does all of its work at
a single slide level (level 0 by default).  In order to draw the
thumbnail, it has to read that level in its entirety.

When you open the slide, you get its top-left corner, which is most
likely blank.  If you scroll around a bit you should be able to find
actual image data.