NDPI support

Yves Sucaet sucaet at histogenex.com
Tue Jul 17 08:30:53 EDT 2012

Have you tried to increase the memory assigned to your jvm?

Plenty of posts about this, e.g.:
http://blogs.opcodesolutions.com/roller/java/entry/solve_java_lang_outofmemoryerror_java

hth,

Yves

From:   Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com>
To:     David Gutman <dagutman at gmail.com>
Cc:     "openslide-users at lists.andrew.cmu.edu"
<openslide-users at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Date:   17-07-12 14:26
Subject:        Re: NDPI support
Sent by:
openslide-users-bounces+sucaet=histogenex.com at lists.andrew.cmu.edu

Hi David,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM, David Gutman <dagutman at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the members of my group has written a converter for NDPI files
> using the Hamamatsu API---  basically we wrapped some see code around
the
> DLL file that allows us to read the files--- we mostly use it to take
the
> original NDPI file and chop it into tiles so we can do analysis on
them...
> Not really a perfect solution, and we are relying on a non-open-source
DLL
> (the one from Hamamatsu).... but at least allows us to do some analysis.

So the question is: can you share this piece of code ? At least for me
this would help me a lot.

> The format itself is quite weird-- it seems to have broken a lot of
> normal" conventions--- kind of a JPEG stuffed into a TIFF wrapper....
>
> The Bioformats program package should also have some support for the
NDPI
> files, although last time I tried it (which was probably 6 months to a
year
> ago), it was a bit flaky.

As mentioned in my post, the NDPI only supports 65000 pixel. Using
current trunk I get:
Reading IFDs
Populating metadata
Populating OME metadata
                 at loci.common.DataTools.allocate(DataTools.java:863)
                 at
loci.formats.ChannelMerger.openBytes(ChannelMerger.java:157)
                 at
loci.formats.ReaderWrapper.openBytes(ReaderWrapper.java:305)
                 at
loci.formats.gui.BufferedImageReader.openImage(BufferedImageReader.java:94)
                 at
loci.formats.gui.BufferedImageReader.openImage(BufferedImageReader.java:77)
                 at
loci.formats.gui.ImageViewer.open(ImageViewer.java:347)
                 at
loci.formats.gui.ImageViewer.main(ImageViewer.java:829)

Thanks much !
--
Mathieu

WARNING: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION, including privileged and/or health information.  It is for the sole use of the intended recipients. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, distribution, reproduction, use or retention of this email or the information in it, is strictly FORBIDDEN. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately (REPLY this e-mail) and permanently DELETE the related e-mail.  Please be aware that this email and replies to it may be monitored by the sender's company for quality assurance, policy compliance and/or security purposes.